By Anne O'Brien
After the loss of life of her stepfather, woman Rosamund de Longsprey notion to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and ignored lands, Rose is decided to make it paintings as the substitute isn't anything she is prepared to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as made up our minds to take again his lands that have been stolen from his kin. Fitz Osbern exhibits up and speedy takes keep an eye on of the fortress a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is prepared to offer any flooring, nor will both one publish. Will somebody live on? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I totally enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize fairly by chance as i used to be shopping the cabinets of an area paperback trade bookstall. The blurb at the again stuck my consciousness, however it used to be some time sooner than I opened it. i used to be fast stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly stumbled on myself racing to learn to work out the way it could all finish. either Rose and Gervase are powerful and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed precise to these characteristics in the course of the tale and nonetheless had a truly pleasant end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking up the property. It comes throughout really brutally, and that i came across myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. girl Rose--she is fantastic! She is opinionated, decided, crafty, proud, and clever. She can be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale improved. definite, she was once blameless of many ways of the realm, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet continuously for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He used to be robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. even if he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it is going to ship Rose operating. His makes an attempt are quite humorous because he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility from time to time. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his common allure quite shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's buddy additional a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and now not so refined methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to realize the higher hand. I additionally favored that it wasn't continuously one who got here out on most sensible. in truth, it usually appeared judicious. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the girl is so naïve that she is has to be rescued via an all figuring out guy. right here, we had a well-balanced conflict the place not anyone ever appeared to actually be accountable for the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's absolute to be sparks once they meet. They either slowly and carefully fall in love with the opposite. And it was once effortless to determine why they enjoyed every one other.
6. The Ending--with either made up our minds to be the conqueror, it was once nail-biting to attend and spot how obdurate humans may come jointly with out filing. It used to be good performed. I enjoyed how Rose placed to exploit the unorthodox suggestion of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The simply factor that I didn't like was once different flashbacks: it was once a section complicated now and then. Am I examining whatever occurring instantly? Or did this take place previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It was once a hugely enjoyable tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback alternate shop.